Krebs Cycle Zinc
Krebs Zinc is probably the most bio-available Zinc on the market and is an important mineral addition to every families dietary needs. Children need it in order for growth and to physically develop and mature, as well as keeping their skins clear. We all need it for healing, bone health, immune function, antioxidant protection, reproductive health, to maintain the senses of taste and smell – and to keep more than 300 enzymes in the body functioning properly.
The energy of life is produced inside the little energy centers of each cell.
Those little furnaces are called the mitochondria, and inside each one a chemical miracle takes place. It is the tricarboxylic acid cycle or Krebs cycle for short. It generates life’s energy in the form of a substance called ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate.) Citric, fumaric, malic, succinic, and alpha-ketoglutaric acids are the fuel that drives the Krebs cycle, giving us ATP.
Since each cell generates energy throughout its life, the need for those five organic acids is strong and constant. As long as we are alive, there is a steady requirement for citric, fumaric, malic, succinic, and alpha-ketoglutaric acids. Therefore, minerals bound to them should be easily absorbed from the intestinal tract, transported through the blood, delivered to the cells and utilized. This chain of events, from absorption through utilization, describes bioavailability.
Research conducted by Russell Jaffe, M.D., indicates that minerals compounded with organic acids utilized in the Krebs cycle may have improved bioavailability. These Krebs cycle minerals include citrates, malates, succinates, fumarates and alpha-ketoglutarates.
Vibrant Health’s Krebs Cycle complex supplies a full and legitimate 20% of its elemental mineral potency from zinc alpha-ketoglutarate, with another 20% also coming from each of the other compounds: 20% from citrate, 20% from malate, 20% from succinate and 20% from fumarate. All the compounds are fully reacted, with no unbound species present.
Krebs Zinc is the superior form of zinc for use by every member of the family. Children need it in order to physically develop and mature. We all need it for healing, bone health, immune function, night blindness, falling hair, white spots on finger nails, reproductive health, to maintain the senses of taste and smell – and to keep more than 300 enzymes in the body functioning properly.
WHY IS ZINC SO IMPORTANT?
- Zinc is essential to the normal growth and development of animals and humans. Simple zinc supplementation corrects unexplained slow growth in children.
- Zinc is a structural component of cellular RNA and DNA. You can’t make new cells without it.
- Zinc stabilizes cell membranes, protecting them against per oxidation (oxidative damage.) It plays a role that is anti-ageing and prevents degenerative diseases.
- Zinc potentiates the action of insulin, helping move sugar into cells. Chromium, vanadium, manganese, and lithium have also demonstrated this ability to balance blood sugar by normalizing insulin’s activity.
- Zinc is required for the synthesis (manufacture) of steroid hormones by the adrenal glands. One cannot grow or mature without steroid hormones.
- Zinc has been identified in more than 80 enzymes and proteins, giving evidence of its wide ranging importance in metabolism (the sum total of life-giving biochemical events in the body.)
- Zinc is essential for the structure and function of these enzymes.
- Zinc, as part of these enzymes, is critical to the metabolism of proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, mucopolysaccharides and carbohydrates.
- Zinc enzymes:
- Detoxify dietary and naturally occurring alcohols.
- Detoxify and remove carbon dioxide, thereby sustaining life itself.
- Are a part of pancreatic enzymes responsible for the breakdown of proteins and peptides to their amino acid building blocks.
- Are responsible for the splitting and replication of DNA in cells during growth.
- Regulate cellular development, division and differentiation.
- Are essential for protein synthesis.
- Help control the strength, effectiveness and number of white blood cell count against disease.
- Are essential to the synthesis of new bone.
- Provide antioxidant protection within each cell as a structural and activating component of S.O.D (super-oxide dismutase.)
- Zinc also increases the activity of many other enzymes (an effect that can also be achieved by several other metal enzymes.)
- Zinc is required for production of hormones needed for normal growth, development, maturation, reproduction and tissue integrity. You can’t make new cells without it.
- Zinc stabilizes cell membranes, protecting them against oxidation. In that role, it is an anti-ageing nutrient.
- Zinc potentiates the action of insulin, helping move sugar into cells. (So do chromium, vanadium, and manganese.)
- Zinc has been identified in several hundred enzymes and proteins. Zinc, as part of these enzymes, is critical to the metabolism of proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, mucopolysaccharides and carbohydrates.
So, without adequate zinc, critical enzyme systems begin to break down. Sense of taste becomes less acute (an early warning of deficiency) or disappears, damaged tissue heals more slowly or not at all, digestion falters, growth and development slows down, and ageing accelerates.
The USDA has been measuring the dietary intake of a number of important nutrients for several decades. Current estimates place more than one-third of the U.S. population at risk for zinc deficiency. If a supplement is needed for mature men, we recommend zinc arginate, a supplement that supplies two nutrients found abundantly in prostate tissue, zinc and arginine. To that compound, we add phytosterols, fatty alcohols from plants known to support the prostate.
WHY USE A KREB’S ZINC?
- It is a true, full Krebs cycle complex
- It is a fully reacted and balanced mineral, containing all 5 Krebs cycle compounds – 20% of the mineral content comes from each of the acids in the ATP Krebs cycle – producing the energy of life in every cell
- It is a general purpose zinc for all family members
- Krebs Zinc is bound to the organic acids – which makes it highly bio-available because the acids are more efficiently absorbed.
- It is essential to growth, tissue health and integrity, skin clarity and acne, immunity, bone building, antioxidant protection, reproductive health, night blindness, falling hair, white spots in finger nails, sleep disturbances and much more!
- Krebs Zinc is needed for its bioavailability as zinc is destroyed in the milling process and is also lost in cooking.
- Because a large majority of people have a Zinc shortage in their diets.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ZINC:
- The total amount of Zinc in the human body is between 2 – 3 grams
- The highest concentration of Zinc is in the prostate gland and in the prostatic secretions, and spermatozoa – running around 860 mcg. Per gram in normal tissue. That is about 4 – 80 x more than in any other tissue.
- There is 25 times more zinc in white blood cells than in red, indicating Zinc’s importance in disease resistance
- Serum Zinc decreases during pregnancy, implying increased need during that time
- Serum Zinc decreases with eostrogen administration, implying an increased need if hormone therapy is employed during menopause and thereafter
- Zinc is excreted primarily in the gastro intestinal and pancreatic secretions
- Urine contains 0.5mg of Zinc per day, independent of dietary intake and urinary volume
- Body stores of Zinc (held in bone, prostate gland and blood cells) are not easily released for use, so we are dependant on regular dietary supplies, particularily during periods of growth
- About 1/3 of Zinc from food is retained (absorbed and delivered to tissues) – therefore highly bio-available supplements are valuable